Planning for Surgery
Surgery is a major medical procedure, and we want to help you feel comfortable and confident in the process. We strive to make scheduling and preparing for surgery as easy as possible, so you can focus on getting well.
Scheduling Your Surgery
All surgeries are scheduled through the Surgical Services departments in Smithfield and Clayton. Please call the facility where you will be getting surgery to schedule your appointment.
Most same day surgery patients will need to complete pre-procedural testing several days before their surgery. Testing will take place at the facility where your surgery is scheduled – either in Clayton or Smithfield. It’s important for your surgeon to know your complete medical history, including past surgeries and illnesses, current medications, allergies, etc. During pre-procedure testing, our staff will:
- Weigh and measure you
- Perform pre-screening diagnostic tests (blood, EKG, x-ray, etc.)
- Review your medical history, allergies and current medications
- Obtain other necessary clinical information
- Conduct an interview/evaluation with your anesthesiologist
- Provide information and education regarding your procedure
If you do not require pre-procedural testing, you will still receive a phone call several days before your surgery so we can obtain any necessary medical information.
You will need to bring the following items/information to your pre-procedural testing appointment:
- Complete medication list
- Emergency contact information
- Valid form of identification
- Insurance information
Day of Surgery
On the day of your surgery, please plan to arrive an hour before your scheduled surgery. You will need to arrange for transportation home as you will not be allowed to drive immediately after surgery. Family and visitors may accompany you to the hospital and wait in our lobby while you are in surgery. Please follow these guidelines when you come in for surgery:
- Be sure not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before
- Do not bring valuable personal items to the hospital
- Bring a list of the medications that you take regularly
- Do not wear jewelry, makeup, lotion, or body piercings
- Children may bring a favorite toy
Recovering from surgery can be a lengthy and challenging process. At Johnston Health, not only do we thoroughly prepare you for surgery and give you excellent care during your procedure, we can also provide many resources to help you through recovery.
Our Home Care services can assist patients who need help with daily care following a surgery. Our home care team can assist with medication management, wound care, catheter care, physical therapy, and other needs. By letting our staff help with your medical needs after surgery, you can focus your energy on getting well.
Johnston Health offers speech, occupational and physical therapy at our Rehabilitation Center in the Johnston Medical Mall in Smithfield. Our licensed staff is devoted to maximizing recovery and optimizing functional abilities for patients after surgery. We provide one-on-one evaluations to determine the best treatment plan for your needs.