Scholarships for Health Care Students
Funds raised by the Johnston Health Volunteers are used for several purposes, one of which is scholarship opportunities for students interested in health care professions. Rules for awarding these scholarships are:
- The Johnston Health Volunteer Scholarship Committee decides the number of scholarships to be given each year and the amount to be awarded. We plan to award eleven scholarships in the amount of $1,000. each in June of 2019.
- Each recipient must be a resident of Johnston County or an adjacent county.
- The scholarship is a one-time award.
- Scholarships will be awarded to candidates pursuing a health care profession.
- The scholarship will be awarded to those with a 3.0 GPA or higher. Official copies of school academic records must be sent from guidance counselors or other school representatives directly to the scholarship committee.
- Scholarships will also be based on the financial need of applicants.
- Each applicant will explain their need for financial assistance, their participation in extracurricular/volunteer activities and their work-related experience in a letter to the scholarship committee. The letter must be included as part of the completed application packet.
- Two letters of recommendation are required and must also be included with the completed application.
- Scholarships will be awarded based on:
- Academic records
- Financial need
- Extracurricular activities
- Work ethic
- Checks will be made payable to the scholarship recipient and to the school where the candidate has been accepted. A copy of an acceptance letter from the candidate’s institution of choice must be included with the completed application. If for any reason, the student does not attend or drops out of school the year he or she receives the scholarship, the scholarship must be returned.
Application packets must include: completed application, letter from applicant, two letters of recommendation, and a copy of the acceptance letter from the candidate’s institution of choice.
Completed application packets and official school transcripts must be received by the chairperson of the scholarship committee no later than April 15, 2019.
Mary W. Britt, Scholarship Committee Chairperson
PO Box 1502
Smithfield, NC 27577