Hospice Volunteer Program
Johnston Health Home Care and Hospice serves terminally ill patients who have opted for palliative care rather than curative treatment. Hospice volunteers are specific to the SECU Hospice House and our in-home hospice patients. There are over 50 active hospice volunteers, all serving in a variety of ways to make life a little easier for our patients and families. Hospice volunteers can help with:
- Sitting with patients to visit, read or just hold a hand.
- Serving as support to the nurses and CNAs on duty
- Visiting with family members to offer support and encouragement
- Caring for the Hospice House facility, including the family kitchen, playroom, living room, and other public areas
- Serving meals and cleaning up leftovers
- Assist with administrative duties as needed
- Helping with the annual Hospice fundraisers.
2017 New Hospice Volunteer Training Days
You must attend both days of training. All training takes place at the SECU Hospice House.
Fall Training- *NEEDED: In-home Hospice Volunteers*
Saturday, October 14- 8 a.m.- 2 p.m.
Saturday, October 21- 8 a.m.- 2 p.m.
Application and Requirements
To be considered for our Hospice Volunteer Program, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Complete and submit an application
- Be approved for service by the Hospice Volunteer Coordinator
- Complete a mandatory orientation
- Complete a 12-hour training course specific to hospice
- Complete infection control/safety training
- Complete Employee Health requirements, including a two-part TB skin test prior to service and drug screening
- Comply with hospital and departmental policies, rules, and code of ethics
- Wear approved uniform and picture ID when on duty
- Be in good standing in the community (reference/background checks)
- Read and sign a confidentiality statement
- Complete additional training for certain positions
- Comply with refresher orientation requirements
For more information or for questions about the hospice volunteer program, please contact Robin Copeland, Hospice Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com or 919-209-5103.
Current Hospice Volunteers
Use the button below to log your hours.