It can be hard to stick to a healthy eating plan if it means missing out on some of your favorite foods. Burgers are a classic staple in many American diets, but unfortunately the typical burger does not constitute a healthy meal.
But don’t worry, being healthy doesn’t mean you have to cut burgers out of your diet completely. Instead of hitting up the McDonald’s drive-thru, try some of these healthier burger options to fit with whatever dietary guidelines you’re following.
Hearty sweet potatoes and avocado make a filling sandwich – you won’t even miss the meat!
- 2 cans cannellini white beans, drained
- 1 large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed (about 2 cups)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp maple or agave syrup
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning OR Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup wheat flour
- optional: additional seasoning as desired, salt to taste if needed
- plentiful Panko crumbs
- safflower oil for pan
Toppings: avocado, Dijon mustard, grain buns, romaine lettuce, onion, olive oil, pepper
This delicious vegetarian option is perfect for a fresh, healthy lunch.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large poblano pepper, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 1 teaspoon sauce
- 3/4 cup roasted cashews
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled feta or cotija cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 whole egg
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toppings: cheese, toasted hamburger buns, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, pickles
Using ground turkey instead of beef and a pita instead of a regular bun helps lower your fat and calorie intake.
- 1/2 cup plain 2% Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Cooking spray
- 2 (6-inch) whole-wheat pitas, cut in half
- 4 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 (1/4-inch) tomato slices
Replacing a hamburger bun with a lettuce wrap cuts out lots of carbs, but still makes for a delicious burger!
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 whole avocados, Sliced
- 1 whole tomatoes, Sliced
- 1/4 whole thinly sliced red onion
- 1 head iceberg, green leaf, or butter lettuce
Toppings: chopped pickles, feta cheese, cilantro, pico de gallo
We hope these 4 burgers to fit any diet are beneficial to mixing up your meals.