In the South, there are many traditional foods that we all love to enjoy. Some favorites might includes fried chicken, ribs, BBQ, creamy casseroles, potato salad, baked macaroni and cheese – pretty much anything that will send your blood pressure through the roof. But with a few changes, you can enjoy a “lighter” version of these dishes without having to skimp on the flavor! Here are some healthy twists on classic southern foods.
- Use low-fat milk and Greek yogurt for a lighter creamy sauce
- Use crushed corn flakes to make a baked “fried” chicken
- Choose ground turkey instead of beef
- For a lighter mac ‘n’ cheese, use sharp cheddar and Parmesan mixed with a cauliflower puree
- Use whole wheat pasta or even a zucchini pasta noodle
- Choose a “low-fat” option, if available
- Try to add in vegetables anywhere you can, for example in meatloaf or a sauce
- Have sweet potato fries instead of traditional potato fries
- Use an egg substitute
- Finely chopped ingredients will give you more flavor and distribute evenly
- When you need to use oil, try to use canola oil
For some tasty and healthy southern classics check what Southern Living has to offer.