Becoming a new mom is a once in a lifetime experience, but can also be a challenging adjustment. Breastfeeding is a joyful bonding time for you and your baby and allows you to provide your little one with the perfect nutrition that only you can give them. To get you off to a healthy start, we are here to support you as you learn how to breastfeed. Breastfeeding is easy, convenient and saves money, and it’s as healthy for you as it is for your baby.
Mothers who breastfeed
- Shed extra pounds; it can burn 500 to 700 calories per day.
- Have less risk of developing breast, cervical cancer.
- Have less risk of hemorrhage after giving birth.
Babies who are breastfed
- Have fewer risks of respiratory and ear infections, meningitis and stomach illnesses.
- Have less risk of developing diabetes, allergies, eczema, colitis and childhood leukemia.
- Have better cognitive development. On average, breastfed babies score 8 to 9 points higher on IQ tests than babies who drink formula.
A lactation consultant is available for private consults during your hospital stay. For more information, visit our Women’s Pavilion