Johnston Health Cardiopulmonary Rehab
A hospital department of Johnston Health
Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, or rehab for short, is a medically supervised program that aids in the recovery of cardiac and pulmonary patients by improving their physical, mental and social functioning.The goal of cardiopulmonary rehab is to improve the patient’s overall quality of life by stopping or possibly reversing the progression of cardiovascular disease and improving respiratory function.
Who Can Participate?
You can participate in our cardiopulmonary rehab program if you have had any of the following:
- Heart attack
- Coronary artery bypass graft
- Chronic stable angina (chest pain)
- Angioplasty/stent placement
- Valve surgery
- Heart or Lung transplant
- Open heart surgery
- Occupational/environmental lung disease
- Respiratory failure
- Other cardiac and pulmonary conditions
A physician referral is required for this program. If you are interested in participating, you may either contact us or your physician. Insurance coverage varies, depending on your provider. If you have questions regarding coverage, please contact your insurance company prior to starting the program.
Please contact our staff at 919-938-7127 if you have any questions.
About the Program
The cardiopulmonary rehab program consists of one hour sessions every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for a total of up to 36 sessions. During these sessions, you will:
- Have a medical evaluation to figure out your personal needs and limitations.
- Be given instructions regarding the amount and kind of regular exercise you should do, and have a physical activity program developed to meet your needs.
- Participate in regular organized exercise sessions, where your heart rate, blood pressure, and other vital signs will be monitored to ensure your safety.
- Participate in education and counseling sessions to help you understand your condition and how to manage it. If needed, you may be referred to a counselor who may also help you cope with depression, anger, and stress during your recovery.
- Work with a dietitian to create a healthy eating plan.
- Receive support and training to help you return to work or your normal activities, and to help you learn to manage your heart and lung condition.
Classes for COPD Patients
We offer two classes a week specifically for our COPD patients as part of the cardiopulmonary rehab program. These are on Monday and Wednesday from 3 -4 p.m. and focus on exercise and education specific to patients with lung conditions.
Your Rehab Team
We offer a multidisciplinary approach to assessing our patients’ needs. Your care team will be made up of a medical director, registered nurse, exercise physiologist, exercise specialist, clinical dietician and respiratory therapist. Our team will work together to set up a program for you based on a six-minute walk test, your medical background, and personal goals.
Benefits of Cardio Rehab
Upon diagnosis or after a major heart-related event, you may be faced with physical and emotional challenges that often times are overwhelming. But you are not alone! At your side is the multidisciplinary team of nurses, respiratory therapists, exercise physiologists, and dietitians at Johnston Health who can help you through your recover.
Our cardiac rehab program can benefit you in many ways including:
- Weight loss
- Improved blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Improved exercise tolerance
- Decreased shortness of breath with activity
- Better stress management
- Control of blood sugar levels
- Reduced risk of recurrent events
- Increased strength and mobility
- Improved quality of life