Junior Volunteer Program
The Junior Volunteer program is closed for 2014.
The Junior Volunteer program, which runs during the summer months, is intended for high school students who want to gain hands-on experience in the healthcare environment. This program has a limited number of available positions and placement decisions are based upon a first come, first serve basis. Our junior volunteers help out in a variety of ways, including:
- Delivering flowers, cards and gifts to patients
- Assisting various hospital departments with special needs
- Transporting patients by wheelchair
- Running errands
Important Dates for Program Participants
May 1: Applications due
May 20: Informational sessions for first-time junior volunteers; TSTs given (4 p.m. or 4:30 p.m.)
May 21: Informational sessions for first-time junior volunteers; TSTs given (5 p.m. or 5:30 p.m.)
May 23: TSTs from May 20 read in Employee Health from 4-6 p.m.
May 24: TSTs from May 21 read in Employee Health from 4-6 p.m.
June 3: Orientation from 4-6 p.m.; TSTs given
June 5: TSTs from orientation read in Employee Health from 4-6 p.m.
June 12: Immunization records due (the earlier the better in case you are missing something)
June 16: Program begins
August 8: Program ends
To be considered for our junior volunteer program, applicants must:
- Be at least 15 years of age
- Complete and submit an application, including essay questions and a letter of reference
- Be approved for service by the Volunteer Coordinator
- Attend a 30 minute informational session (first-time participants only)
- Complete a mandatory orientation
- Complete infection control/safety training
- Complete Employee Health requirements, including a two-part TB skin test and submitting immunization records. (Returning junior volunteers do not need to submit immunization records unless there have been changes from last year.)
- Comply with hospital and departmental policies, rules, and code of ethics
- Wear approved uniform and picture ID when on duty
- Commit to at least one, four-hour shift per week
Questions? Please contact Farrah Nguyen, Volunteer Coordinator, at 919-938-7914 or email@example.com.