History

old hospital photo copy

1947 – In the years following World War II, a strong grassroots movement in Johnston County supports the building of a newer, larger public hospital that would attract doctors, offer modern equipment and space and be accessible to all. A group of leaders across the county begins planning.

1948 – In a referendum, Johnston County voters approve borrowing $275,000 to build a 100-bed hospital in Smithfield. Federal and state funds would pay for the majority of the $1.25 million expense to build and equip the hospital. During a bond issue campaign, the hospital’s proponents persuade movie star Ava Gardner and popular North Carolina bandleader Kay Kyser to endorse the project.

1949 –A committee selects a site for Johnston Memorial Hospital. Construction on the five-story building begins in the summer.

1951 –With construction complete, the 100-bed hospital holds a ribbon-cutting ceremony Dec. 15 and admits the first patients Dec. 20.

JMH Historical1 copy(1)

1958 – The north wing opens with 32 additional beds.

1965 – The south wing opens with 30 additional beds.

1974 – A 20-bed inpatient mental health center opens.

1983 – Johnston Memorial Hospital enters a management contract with Quorum Health Resources.

1987 – Hospital-owned family-care practices open in Clayton and Kenly.

1992 – The Johnston Memorial Hospital Foundation is established.

2001 – A $13 million expansion to the hospital adds a birthing center and same day surgery.

2003 – The Burlington Industries plant across the street from the hospital is renovated into the Johnston Medical Mall with HealthQuest Wellness Center as the anchor. An outpatient surgery center is opened in Clayton.

2008 – The Hospital Authority issues $144 million in government-insured mortgage revenue bonds to undertake its largest ever capital expansion: a new patient wing in Smithfield and an outpatient center and freestanding emergency department in Clayton.  The hospital transitions to a health care system with two campuses: Johnston Medical Center-Smithfield and Johnston Medical Center-Clayton. Its corporate name becomes Johnston Health.

2009 – Johnston Medical Center-Clayton opens.

2010 – Johnston Medical Center-Smithfield opens a five-story wing with modern rooms, bringing the total to 199 beds. Following the completion of $4.5 million capital campaign, the Johnston Health Foundation celebrates the opening of the SECU Hospice House in Smithfield.

2013 – After a year and a half of study and deliberation, the Johnston Health Board of Commissioners chooses UNC Health Care as a strategic partner. In Clayton, work begins to expand the outpatient center into a full-service 50-bed hospital.

2014 – Johnston Health and UNC Health Care complete their joint venture agreement. The facilities are renamed with the hospital in Smithfield as Johnston Health and the outpatient facility in Clayton as Johnston Health Clayton.

2015- Johnston Health Clayton opens it’s three story wing with 50 inpatient beds with expanded services such as labor and delivery.