With fall weather arriving, this is the perfect time to try something new in the fitness world. The kids are back in school, summer vacations are over, and there’s finally time to commit to a regular routine. If you want to mix things up, try some of these fall fitness trends to get in shape.
Self-care exercise like yoga is increasingly popular and provides a nice balance with the high-intensity workouts that so many people are participating in these days. Yoga gives your body a chance to recover, and also has many mental benefits like reduced stress and improved focus. Here’s a quick guide to the different types of yoga available so you can choose one that fits your needs:
- Hatha Yoga – this is usually gentle and slow-paced, and provides a good introduction to basic yoga principles for beginners
- Vinyasa/Flow Yoga – these classes tend to focus on synchronizing breathing with movement, and consist of a series of Sun Salutations and intense stretching
- Ashtanga/Power Yoga – this is a more intense, fast-paced style of yoga that focuses on constant movement by repeating a series of poses
- Bikram/Hot Yoga – this style generally follows a series of 26 poses performed in a hot room (95-100 degrees) to help loosen tight muscles and cleanse the body through sweating
- Anusara Yoga – a newer style of yoga, this focuses on alignment of the body, and is rigorous for both mind and body
- Iyengar Yoga – this style often uses props and focuses on holding poses for a longer time and perfecting alignment in each pose
- Restorative Yoga – these classes use props as well and are less demanding than most other styles, allowing the body to enjoy the benefits of poses without exerting all the effort
Don’t let the fast footwork scare you away – you don’t need to be a professional dancer to take a Zumba class! Anyone can learn these moves. There’s usually a wide range of ability levels at any given class, and it’s easy to simplify the moves your first few times until you get the hang of it. Zumba is a great cardiovascular workout, and also improves coordination, flexibility and balance. And the best part is, you’ll be so busy learning the dance moves and having fun that it won’t even feel like a workout!
HealthQuest Fitness and Wellness Center offers many Zumba classes throughout the week.
Humans were born to run – it is one of the oldest and most natural forms of exercise. However, many people find it boring and difficult to stick with. If that sounds like you, try joining a running club. Running clubs have become very popular in recent years, so it’s very easy to fund one to join. Running with other people adds a social aspect to your workout, making it feel less like work and more like fun. It also holds you accountable for completing your workouts and sticking to a routine. Running is the perfect workout for your fall fitness routine – the cooler weather is much easier to run in than the heat of summer, and there are lots of races in the fall that you can sign up for as extra motivation.
Use Meetup.com to find a running group near you – there are many to choose from in Johnston County and the Triangle.
Did you play a sport in high school or college? Want to sharpen up those skills again? Adult recreational sports leagues are very popular, and offer the chance to play your favorite game again. Most leagues offer soccer, basketball, flag football, softball, volleyball, kickball and other popular sports. Gather some friends and family and make a team, or sign up individually. This is a great way to get in a fun workout once or twice a week.